Impersonate Plugin on IdentityIQ 8.4 p3 – impersonation search returns no identities

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to use the Impersonate Plugin on an IdentityIQ 8.4 p3 environment and I’m running into an issue where the impersonation popup does not return any identities.

Environment

  • IdentityIQ version: 8.4 p3
  • Impersonate Plugin version: 0.5.3.9 (the one that removes the upper version limit and is supposed to work with 8.2+)
  • Application server: Tomcat (started via scripts, but the plugin itself is now installed via the IIQ UI “Plugins” page)
  • User used for testing: “THE Administrator” (SystemAdministrator capability)

Installation steps

  1. I downloaded impersonateplugin.0.5.3.9.zip from the SailPoint community.
  2. In IdentityIQ UI, I went to Gear → Plugins → New.
  3. I uploaded the ZIP and IIQ reported that the plugin was installed successfully.
  4. The plugin now appears in the Plugins list with version 0.5.3.9.
  5. I can also see the Impersonation Settings page under Global Settings, so the plugin seems to be correctly recognized and deployed.

Current behavior

  • The yellow impersonation icon does appear in the top bar for my admin user.
  • When I click the yellow icon, the popup opens as expected.
  • However, when I start typing a name, no identities are returned at all (no suggestions, nothing), and the popup basically feels “stuck” or empty.
  • There is no obvious error message in the UI.

So the plugin is visible and “installed”, but the actual impersonation search never shows any target identities.

Capabilities and access

For testing, I am logging in with the admin account “THE Administrator” which:

  • has the SystemAdministrator capability
  • has been granted ImpersonatePluginCapability
  • has been granted ImpersonatePluginRestServiceAccess

So as far as I understand the documentation, this user should be allowed to impersonate other identities.

Filter Rule changes we tried

We are using the default “Impersonator Plugin Filter Rule” that comes with the plugin, but we have tried several combinations of the control booleans at the top, for example:

Test with basic admin mode:

boolean ENFORCE_CORRELATED   = false;
boolean ENFORCE_SCOPING      = false;

boolean MANAGER_SUBORDINATE  = false;
boolean HELPDESK_ASSISTANCE  = false;
boolean MANAGEMENT_ASSISTANT = false;

boolean DEFAULT_SPADMIN_ONLY = true;

And other tests. But, the impersonation popup still shows no identities when we type in the search field.

Hi,

just FYI: for us the impersonate plugin is working on 8.4p3, however we are using impersonateplugin.0.5.4.4.zip.

Hi Robbe,
I also tested with this version impersonateplugin.0.5.4.4., but the problem persists. Thanks anyway for sharing this information.

@Hamza10 I tested this in 8.5p1 with 0.5.4.4 version and is working fine. Possibly there are some metadata or config issue. Do you see any error logs when you try to search identity?

Note: Help the community by marking successful fixes as solutions. Feel free to react(:heart:, :+1:, etc.) with an emoji to show your appreciation or message me directly if your problem requires a deeper dive.

Thank you for you respond.
No error logs when i try to search identity.

@Hamza10 your filter rule logic might be broken. Try returning “true” conditionally. If that works, you need to fix the rule.

@Hamza10 Have you tried deleting the plugin and download it again from community and install it in your environment?

I’ve already tried that. It doesn’t solve the plugin problem.

Yes, i’ve tried that as well.

@Hamza10 Could you please share the plugin which you are trying? Will check and compare how is it working in my instance.

@neel193 I’ve used those attached to this link :

https://community.sailpoint.com/t5/Plugin-Framework/Impersonate-Plugin/ta-p/74702

@Hamza10 Even i downloaded from here only, difference is i am using 8.5p1. I can see copyright for this plugin is with Sailpoint. Would recommend coordinating with Sailpoint Support to see if its something related with your environment configuration.

Hi,

We have a problem with the icon not showing (its there if we highlight it) and the function of it stopped working in 8.5p1.

tried reinstallning but nothing happens.
Anyone having the same problem?

@Hamza10 @LudwigAG Could you please confirm if you have custom branding in IIQ? And Plugin is getting imported but you are not able to see the icon?

I noticed this is due to the branding, if you are using any color other than default blue, plugin is not able to adapt the colors.

@neel193 No, i can see it in my case
The yellow impersonation icon does appear in the top bar for my admin user.

  • When I click the yellow icon, the popup opens as expected.

  • However, when I start typing a name, no identities are returned at all (no suggestions, nothing), and the popup basically feels “stuck” or empty.

  • There is no obvious error message in the UI.

@hamza el youssoufi
For me, it works fine on version 8.5p1, and I haven’t encountered any issues. However, the problem you mentioned can occur if there are unsupported or random plugins installed, as they often trigger this error.